Friday, June 21, 2013

Golden trout hike 6/20/2013

 
A friend and I hiked to a favorite eastern sierra lake the other day, and did very well!  We weren't actually planning on catching much, we went up just to see if it's even possible to make it to the lake since there is still a good amount of snow at higher elevations.  We made it just fine, had to negotiate a little snow, but less than we were expecting.

I landed 5 or so small ones in the inlet creek on a #21 sierra bright dot, and later on a size #18 stimulator.  Hiding behind bushes while casting, moving slowly, and keeping as far away as possible from the water is key here.  I actually had to cast laying on my side in one spot so I wouldn't spook the fish.

I followed the creek towards the inlet of the lake,  on my way I spooked a 20 inch golden (largest golden I've seen).  Pretty heart breaking, since I'm pretty sure he would have taken my dry fly.

When I made it to the lake a started stripping a #12 olive woolly bugger with a little olive midge flash tied in the tail.  I landed probably around 10 or so fish over the next 2 hours.

This one being the largest...


..and this one was the prettiest for sure!

I headed back up to the lake about a week later and brought my GoPro!  You can see the footage HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment